International Students Day is on November 17, 2021. So warm wishes to all the students!
Did you know that there are some foods that you could be snacking on to boost brain power? As a student you work hard to memorize and understand a lot of new information. It's important to keep up with healthy habits since staying healthy can promote academic performance and help you to reach your educational goals.
So you know that you should be eating a healthy diet already... But did you know that certain foods are especially important for brain health and promoting mental performance? Here is a list of foods that have been linked to improved brain health and make an ideal snack to consume while studying:
1. Berries: Berries including blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries contain compounds that enhance mental performance. These compounds include anthocyanin which improves mental performance by increasing blood flow to the brain and protecting against inflammation.
Some snack ideas include a triple berry smoothie, fruit salad, yogurt with fresh berries, or you can take blueberry supplements.
2. Citrus Fruits: Citrus fruits are highly nutritious. Similar to berries, citrus fruits are rich in flavonoids. The compounds found in fruits like oranges and grapefruits have the ability to promote learning and memory, and can ward off mental decline by protecting nerve cells from injury.
Fruit juices like orange juice are highly concentrated sources of brain health promoting compounds. Try having a glass of orange juice with a source of protein and healthy fats like mixed nuts. You can also just snack on a fresh orange too!
3. Dark Chocolate: Cocoa has the highest flavonoid content by weight of any other food. Chocolate and cocoa products are loaded with flavonoid compounds that increase blood flow to the brain. They also boost memory and improve reaction time. Cocoa products are also known to reduce mental fatigue and improve insulin sensitivity.
Grab a piece of dark chocolate with a handful of mixed nuts as a study snack!
4. Nuts: There is a reason we suggested to grab some nuts a couple of times already. Nuts are packed with nutrients that are essential for brain health, like vitamin E and zinc. Nuts are also packed with protein, healthy fats, and fiber which is a great combination to keep you fueled through study sessions. Snacking on nuts can improve reaction time and improve your overall mental status.
Nuts are a very portable snack. Grab a bag of mixed nuts to take with you to study sessions.
5. Eggs: Eggs contain a variety of nutrients that are essential to brain health including vitamin B12, choline, and selenium. These nutrients are found within the yolk so you will want to enjoy the entire egg, not just the egg whites. Eggs can improve coordination, memory, and neurological function.
Hard boiled eggs make a tasty snack! Try hard boiled eggs alone or chopped into a salad.
Alright students, there you have it! Five snack foods to include in your study sessions!